Help raise money and awareness for a rare disease that took the life of longtime ski instructor Bill Cunningham, who had a more than 30-year affiliation with Cannon Mountain as an instructor, director, assistant & technical director. Before New Hampshire’s parks department took over the ski school, Cunningham and his wife, Carol, were part owners of the then Franconia Ski School.
Bill Cunningham died on May 22, 2007, of a rare disease that causes proteins to deposit improperly into organs, leading to other diseases. And for Cunningham, the illness was misdiagnosed for several years, until it was too late. One of the reasons the event is being held Carol said, is to raise awareness about Amyloid, and to help spread the word so people who may have kidney and liver problems caused by the rare disorder can press to have further testing done. She said her husband’s initial testing rounds were negative and by the time the family found out he did suffer from Amyloid, it was too late.
This year's "Race to Beat Amyloid" is on Saturday, March 7, 2020, with a start time of 11am. The race is open to all ages. Brackets are for male and female by age group: 5 and younger, 6-7, 8-11, 12-16, 17-34, 35-54, 55-74, and 75 and older.
- $10 sponsored registration fee; $30 race fee online; or $35 race day.
- Best of two runs on Time Zone - Accessed by Peabody Slope Eagle Cliff Chair.
- Pre-register online for guaranteed t-shirt size. Children's shirt sizes must be ordered by February 22.
- Sponsorship information is online as well. Reach $100 from sponsors and receive a long sleeve tee, glass, coupons for Chutters candy and Rodgers Ski & Sport tuning, 6 raffle tickets and more.
- Full Day Adult Ticket - Available race day for $60 cash for registered racers only.
- PSIA members can purchase tickets for $25 with a valid PSIA membership card.
- Bib pick-up/late registration starts at 8am in the Family Room downstairs in the Peabody Base Lodge next to the raffle tables.
- Awards will be in the Family Room as soon as calculations are done on Race Day (approximately 3:30pm). All racers 11 and younger receive ribbons or awards.
- Raffle and Silent Auction open at 9am and close after race awards.